Structural Skylight Specifications
|A.I.A Industries, Inc.
290 E. 56th Avenue
Denver, CO 80216
General Specification Data
Metal Framed Skylights
PART 1 - GENERAL
A. Design, and fabrication of entire skylight system to include all extruded aluminum framing, anchors, and flashing metals.
B. Glazing and glazing materials including gaskets, sealants, setting blocks, backer rods, and related materials.
C. Finish on metal components.
D. Installation of the metal framed skylight system.
1.02 RELATED WORK
A. Section 05120: Structural Steel.
B. Section 05500: Metal Fabrications.
C. Section 07620: Sheet Metal Flashing and Trim.
D. Section 08800: Glazing.
E. Section ( _______ ) : ( ____________________ ).
A. American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA).
B. American Society for Testing and Materials(ASTM).
C. Flat Glass Manufacturers Association(FGMA).
1.04 PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
A. Skylight system shall be designed to support loads as specified by local building codes for the location of the project, described and/or specified herein as:
1. Positive Live Loads:
a. Snow Load..................PSF
b. Wind Load..................PSF
c. Dead Load....................lbs.
2 Negative Live Loads:
a. Wind Load..................PSF
3. Load Combinations:
a. Snow Load + Dead Load
b. Wind Load + Dead Load
4. The maximum allowable deflection of any framing member normal to the plane of the glass shall not exceed L/175. Spans of 20' - 0" or greater shall not exceed a maximum allowable deflection of L/240.
B. Manufacturer's system shall meet or exceed all performance standards as outlined by the following tests:
1. ASTM E283 (air infiltration)
2. ASTM E331 & AAMA 501(water penetration)
3. AAMA 1502.7 (condensation resistance)
C. Thermal movement of system caused by ambient temperature ranges of + 70 degrees F without causing buckling, undue stress on structural elements, stresses on glass, failure of seals, performance reduction or other detrimental effects.
A. Shop drawings as required to fully describe the skylight system shall be submitted and approved by the architect prior to starting any fabrication.
B. Submit structural calculations (where applicable) by a licensed structural engineer (qualified in the design of self supporting sloped glazed structures) in accordance with the Aluminum Association's Specifications for Aluminum Structures (SAS-30).
C. Finished aluminum samples (color charts or range samples), and glazing samples shall be submitted and approved by the architect prior to starting any fabrication.
D. Submit manufacturer's written warranty as outlined in paragraph 1.07 of this specification.
1.06 QUALITY ASSURANCE
A. The skylight manufacturer shall be responsible for the design, fabrication, and installation of the skylight assembly.
B. Substitute manufacturer's will be considered only when all of the following conditions have been satisfied:
1. Alternate manufacturer's must be approved by architect to bid not less than twenty (20) days prior to bid date.
2. Detailed drawings for alternate skylight system are submitted to architect for review.
3. Structural calculations, showing sizes of framing members and loads applied to the support structure, based on the design loads of this specification are submitted for review.
4. Prospective manufacturer's must furnish evidence of their ability to perform, including a list of projects of similar design and complexity within the last ten (10) years.
5. Prospective skylight systems must be manufactured by a firm with a minimum of ten (10) years experience in the fabrication and installation of custom aluminum framed skylights.
A. The skylight system shall be warranted for a period of ( ____ ) year(s) after substantial completion against defects in materials and workmanship.
B. All glazing shall be warranted pursuant to the glazing manufacturer's standard warranties. Glass breakage is not covered by these warranties.
C. All aluminum finishes are warranted pursuant to the suppliers standard warranty.
D. The structural sealant is warranted for ( ____ ) year(s) pursuant to the sealant manufacturer's standard warranty of merchantable quality. Warranty shall certify that cured sealant:
1. Shall not become brittle or crack due to weathering or normal expansion and contraction of adjacent surfaces.
2. Shall not harden nor soften beyond a Shore "A" durometer of 30 points.
3. Shall not change color significantly when used with compatible backup materials.
4. Shall not bleed significantly.
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
A. Metal framed skylights shall be manufactured by:
A.I.A. Industries, Inc.
290 East 56th Avenue
Denver, Colorado, 80216
303.296-9696 Fax 303.296.2146
A. Framing members:
1. Extruded aluminum shall have minimum mechanical properties equal to or greater than 6063-T5 alloy and temper.
2. Snap on covers and miscellaneous non-structural trim shall be the minimum thickness recommended by the manufacturer.
1. All formed aluminum sheet shall be the required alloy and temper to make compatible with the specified finish, with a minimum thickness of .040".
C. Fasteners and Anchors:
1. Exposed fasteners shall be stainless steel or zinc coated, unless otherwise noted.
D. Glazing Material: Thickness to be determined by codes, glazing area loading conditions and manufacturers recommendations.
1. Insulating glass unit consisting of 1/4 inch tempered (specify color and/or coating) exterior lite; 1/2 inch air space; and (___) inch clear (tempered) (laminated)(annealed interior lite with a .030 PVB interlayer) (heat strengthened interior lite with a (.030) (.060) PVB interlayer.)
2. Laminated glass unit consisting of: (___) inch (specify color and/or coating) laminated, heat strengthened glass with a (.030) (.060) PVB interlayer.
3. Insulating acrylic unit consisting of (___) inch (clear, bronze, or gray) exterior lite; 1/2 inch air space; (___) inch (clear or white) interior lite. The spacer bar shall allow for independent expansion and contraction of the interior and exterior lites.
4. (___) inch (polycarbonate) (acrylic) (double / triple wall) unit (specify color).
E. Glazing Gaskets:
1. Extruded black E.P.D.M. meeting or exceeding the following:
a. Hardness (Shore A)=50+durometer
b. Tensile strenght=2000psi
c. Elongation = 50%
1. Selection of sealants shall be the responsiblity of the skylight manufacturer.
2. All surfaces shall be cleaned and primed within the sealant manufacturers guidelines.
1. All exposed aluminum shall receive one or more of the following finishes (architect to select):
a. Clear or Dark Bronze anodized.
b. Powder Coated, (standard color).
c. Acrylic enamel (custom color).
d. Other: ________________________
A. Skylights shall be shop fabricated to the greatest extent possible.
B. All welding shall be done by inert gas process, exposed welds to be ground and sanded smooth.
C. System to be fabricated using integral condensate gutters and weep systems allowing any water penetration to drain to the outside.
PART 3 - EXECUTION
A.Metal framed skylights shall be installed by:
A.I.A. Industries, Inc.
290 East 56th Avenue
Denver, Colorado, 80216
B. A.I.A. Industries may authorize a third party to install the skylight.
C. Prior to installation, installer, shall notify the general contractor of obvious deficiencies or dimensional errors in the support system and/or construction. No installation work shall proceed until all errors and deviations are corrected. Written authorization may be given to proceed with the as-built construction along with any price corrections.
D. ADJACENT AND SUPPORT CONSTRUCTION MUST SUPPORT FORCE IMPOSED BY SKYLIGHT SYSTEM.
E. Skylight materials shall be installed in strict accordance with manufacturer's installation instructions and drawings.
F. Install skylights plumb, level and true to line, without warp or rack of frames or panels and anchor securely in place in accordance with approved shop drawings.
G. Contact areas between dissimilar metals shall be isolated with a protective coating or plastic strip to prevent electrolytic corrosion.
H. Upon completion of installation, installer shall remove all labels, part number markings and excess sealants from skylight components. Weep system shall be clear of any and all obstructions.
3.02 FINAL CLEANING
A. Final cleaning and physical protection of all installed materials shall be the responsibility of the general contractor.
END OF SECTION